Thursday, May 20, 2010

MUSINGS version 6.0

2 years ago, I was in the best shape of my life. I had quit smoking,was  eating a healthy diet, running 5K a day, working out 6 days a week. I was still hovering around 200 pounds (on my 5'9" frame) but I had lost my belly (mostly), had toned and sexly arms, and felt fantastic. However, one day, while doing flies, I re-injured my right shoulder. I had torn the rotator cuff a few years previous while conducting Fiddler on the Fucking Roof, and never really had time to let it heal properly. (Still, on occasion, when I do helicopter arm swings, you can hear "clickclickclickclick") So I took a few weeks (months... years...) off of the gym, lost the momentum, and haven't really returned. Nevertheless, I'm in better shape than I was 10 years ago, perhaps a bit rounder in front, but fitter and more toned. 

All this to say that right now, I am in so much damn pain! Yesterday, a bunch of us from the msPS went to a waterfall in Fiji where there was a rope swing. In recent years as I get older, rather than becoming more cautious, I have become fearless. I think it's probably because I feel the need to show the young whippersnappers who are my friends that even this middle-aged portly gentleman (as my bass player called me) can do everything they can. Well, it turns out I can't. It takes me much longer to recover from my shenanigans than it does the average 25 year-old.  I probably swung off that rope about 20 times, and it was awesome. But I paid for it today. I can't straighten my left arm. My bicep is bunched up into a a tiny knot of excruciativeness. (On the plus side, my guns look fantastic!). I can barely get my arms above my head. I couldn't wash my back in the shower this morning, and I decided not to wear socks with my runners not because it was stylish, but because I couldn't get them on my feet. Granted, I really pushed myself, and I have absolutely no regrets (Non! Rien de rien!). But shit, I could barely play the piano today.  Why don't they tell you this in the manual? "After the age of 35, if you are a portly gentleman, you may experience crippling muscle spasms following unusual physical exertion".  

So what now? If I had yesterday to do over again, would I do the same? Yes, absolutely; except for the time where I tried to swing of the high perch and almost crashed head-first into the rocks below. I might have brought the Ben-Gay with me though. Or at least a gay Ben.

5 comments:

  1. Hey James, "Lord of the Jungle" . "Believe now or hear me later, or just think about it" - now you know how Hans & Franz feel ; )

    Hope your pain goes away soon!

    -Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is in the manual, you just skipped over the fine print like we all do. "After the age of 35, ANYONE may experience crippling muscle spasms/lockups/soreness following unusual physical exertion". A few weeks ago, after spending the whole day hunched over pressing on a drill/driver to take apart the stage they built in the Hiland theater, and move it to the MTS rehearsal space, it happened to me too. I had terrible soreness in my neck and was out of commission for a few days. "We're only immortal for a limited time" - Rush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, honey! I could have told you that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. :)Ice then heat - anti-inflammatories and move it some as you can.

    XXTJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robaxecet that's how a 39 year old has to roll sometimes...I am on sets with giggly 25 year olds, but luckily there are no ropes around to swing off of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where are the blogs?????

    ReplyDelete

Who the hell is this James guy anyway?

My photo
I'm a 39 year-old professional musician from Montreal.