Sunday, March 21, 2010

GIRAFFES

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
-Frank Zappa


Giraffes are awesome because they are noble and calm and awkward – everything I aspire to be some day (when I turn 40, I guess. I have a head start on the awkward part).  Their bizarre construction seems to suggest God is playing a little joke on us.  I love the goofy look on their faces, and the way their jaws move lazily from side to side when they chew.  I love their prehensile grey tongues, and their knobby backwards knees. I bought a giraffe hat for my nephew Max at a zoo in Thailand, and was not so secretly disappointed that there were no adult sizes. I wore it anyway.

P.S. I know I'm coasting a bit with these last couple of entries. Not everything's gonna be deep and philosophicalistic-like.
My nephew Max with the hat that transcends generations

1 comment:

  1. I actually can't think of anything much more philosophicalistic-like than giraffes. Besides, if you were really deep and self-reflective every day we'd all feel insecure and superficial in comparison, so clearly you're just doing your friendly readers a favour.
    You already got extra points for the accurate application of the word 'prehensile' in relation to giraffe tongues.
    Have I mentioned lately how much I adore you?!

    ReplyDelete

Who the hell is this James guy anyway?

My photo
I'm a 39 year-old professional musician from Montreal.