Tuesday, April 6, 2010

COFFEE CRISP

"Face it Vera, you're no Jane Rivers."
-Coffee Crisp ad from the 1990's

My job requires me to be away from Canada for long stretches at a time. In fact, I haven’t lived in Canada since 2002 (and to be accurate, I haven’t lived anywhere since 2006. Unless you count Deck 3). The very first thing I do when my plane lands in Montreal (after customs and filing a lost luggage claim) is go to a dépanneur and get a Coffee Crisp. (For those unfamiliar with what a dépanneur is, it’s a corner store with a Québecois flair. I’ll discuss them in a future entry). Coffee Crisp is a chocolate bar, made of alternating thin crispy vanilla wafers and coffee-flavoured cream, all wrapped in a thin layer of milk chocolate. Yummy. Oddly enough, I'm not a big chocolate addict, like a lot of people are. I can take it or leave it. But there's just something so... Canadian about Coffee Crisp. They're made by Cadbury's (which is a British company)but I have not, In fact, seen them anywhere else but in Canada. Pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who the hell is this James guy anyway?

My photo
I'm a 39 year-old professional musician from Montreal.