Wednesday, April 21, 2010

GUILTY PLEASURES: MOVIES

Going to see Godzilla at the Palais of the Cannes Film Festival is like attending a satanic ritual in St. Peter's Basilica
-Roger Ebert


When one is on a ship for long periods of time, especially on a boring contract like the Caribbean (because really, once you've gone to the Wal-Mart on St. Thomas, what else is there to do?), one tends to watch a lot of movies. There is a phenomenon, however, that anyone who has worked on ships will attest to: You can turn on the TV 5 times during the day, and the movie will always be at the same point as the the last time you turned it on. It's freaky. I have seen so so so so so so many flicks in the past 4 years that I would have never bothered to ever see. Most bite. Some are good. But there are a few that I liked in spite of myself.  So here is a list of movies I shouldn't have enjoyed, but did. I may add to this list at a later date.

Miss Congeniality
Saw it again today on the crew channel. I love Sandra Bullock.

Showgirls 
No matter what people may say, this is most assuredly NOT a misunderstood masterpiece. It's a piece of campy crap. And I love it.


The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 
Who doesn't love America Ferrara?

2012
Starring my doppelgänger, John Cusack. And a wonderfully nutty Woody Harrelson.


Ace Ventura: Pet Detective 
Perhaps the most egregious film on this list.

Deuce Bigelow: Male Gigolo
Nope. This one is more egregious.

Eurotrip
OK, this is the most egregious.

G.I. Jane
Demi Moore looks like a hot guy after she shaves her head

Waterworld 
I didn't see this on the ship, but I really liked it when it came out. I haven't seen it in 20 (?) years though, so perhaps my perceptions will have changed by now.

Loverboy 
This is the cinematic oeuvre where a teenaged Patrick Dempsey (McDreamy) plays a pizza-delivery boy-cum-gigolo.  I have no logical justification for this, but I love Kate Jackson, and I always had a crush on Mr. Dempsey.

Alvin and the Chipmunks
No really. It's not that bad. Jason Lee is kinda hot. The Squeak-el (sic) sucks though. Except when the Chipettes do "Single Ladies".




2 comments:

  1. Is it wrong that the one in green kinda turns me on? Yes, yes I suppose it is. Thanks. Just checking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on Patrick Dempsey. He is a beautiful, beautiful man. Which ALMOST makes up for the fact that he can't act his way out of a proverbial paper bag...

    ReplyDelete

Who the hell is this James guy anyway?

My photo
I'm a 39 year-old professional musician from Montreal.