Saturday, April 24, 2010

A LITTLE MODERATION

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia
- E.L. Doctorow.

I have decided after much soul searching that I am not going to fret about not posting a new blog every day.  It's not so much that it's a daunting task (which it is) but it's more that I don't want to be scraping the bottom of the topic barrel when November rolls around. I was looking at my Powerpoint list of posts and thought there's no bloody way I could possibly maintain anyone's interest (least of all mine) until next March. If I were merely ruminating on daily events, then the task would perhaps be a bit easier, in that things would be fresh in my mind. But (and I'm pretty sure one isn't suppose to start a sentence with the word 'but', but it's not like I'm following any other rules on writing) there has been a lot more introspection involved in this project than I had originally thought (my entries on Ties, Sock and Giraffes notwithstanding), and I find that the more I write, the more that I remember.  I've recalled situations and events and people I had long forgotten. It's like my brain was a damaged hard drive that was brought to a tech geek to recover lost information.  This has been a wonderfully eye-opening project, even though I've only been posting for the past month and a half (and in fact, I recommend it to everyone). However, being a perfectionist (a trait that has long been a thorn in my side), I'm afraid to post anything until it's absolutely perfect, which of course, it never will be.  I have at least 20 entries in the works, most of which I've rewritten several times. I have many wonderful anecdotes and memories to share, both poignant and side-splittingly funny (like the time I passed out in a park with a friend and woke up at 9 in the morning with a dog sniffing my face. I didn't drink for a few months after that).  I just decided to aim for quality, not quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who the hell is this James guy anyway?

My photo
I'm a 39 year-old professional musician from Montreal.